The beginning of fall signals the arrival of allergies for many people. So knowing a few frugal treatments you can do at home can help you save a bundle since managing allergies can be quite expensive. The good news is that you will feel better in the process too.
1. Frugal Solutions for Pet Allergies
If you’re allergic to pets, like cats and dogs, you can feel torn between living with your furry best friend and suffering from allergy symptoms. Some pet allergies can be quite severe and even allergy shots can only lessen the reaction. Try these tips to beat pet allergy symptoms.
- Sprinkle wheat germ on your pet’s food. They won’t notice, it’s healthy for them, and it reduces the amount of dander (what you’re actually allergic to) shed by your pet.
- Wash your pet’s bedding regularly.
- Shampoo your pet with a anti-dandruff shampoo once a month.
- Wash your hands after petting your furry friend whenever possible, and definitely before touching your face.
2. Frugal Solutions for Dust and Dust Mite Allergies
Dust and Dust Mite allergies can keep you sneezing and scratching for days. To help reduce your reaction, try out a few of these frugal allergy solutions.
- Vacuum your mattress every week. For even better results, you can also spray the bare mattress with Febreeze Allergen Reducer and then vacuum the bed after letting the disinfectant sit for a half an hour.
- Wash your sheets and pillows often, at least twice a week or whenever you notice sneezing or itching when in bed.
- Purchase allergen reducing pillowcases and mattress covers for sever allergies.
- Consider purchasing an allergen filtering air purifier and/or vacuum cleaner for your home and office.
3. Frugal Solutions for General Allergies
No matter what irritant gets your allergies going, you can try out these frugal solutions to reduce your symptoms for not much cost to you.
- Use a saline nasal rinse. I know, it seems gross and unnatural, but it can significantly decrease your allergy symptoms and improve your overall health. These kits can be purchased in any pharmacy, and are easy to use. Don’t forget to use distilled water and follow the directions for mixing the saline solution precisely. You can warm the solution in the microwave for a few seconds before use for maximum comfort.
- Wash your hands often. You’d be surprised how many allergens you pick up with your hands. You’d be even more surprised at how often you touch your face, distributing those allergens into your system. Wash your hands, nose, eyes, and face regularly to reduce symptoms.
- Shower and change clothes after being outdoors if you suffer from environmental allergies like pollen and grass.
- Remove any carpeting that cannot be regularly washed in the washing machine. Switch to laminate floors or linoleum to reduce allergens in your home.
- Change your furnace and air conditioning filters every month.
- Regularly inspect wet areas of your home for mold, and use a dehumidifier to discourage mold formation.
- Consider trying natural remedies like herbal supplements, dietary changes, and chiropractic treatments to reduce your allergy symptoms.
What frugal allergy treatments have you found to be effective?