Just when you move along and think everything is going smoothly, you fall into a ditch. No, I’m not talking about the stock market, I am talking about being organized.
A few months ago, I had a demanding day job that required traveling every other week, my blog which I was writing everyday for and a pretty active social life all while being pretty much top of all my finances and to do lists. Actually, I had to.
Now that my blogs became my primary field of work and my friends and I don’t go out as much because everyone is trying to save more money, I’m less organized.
More Time Doesn’t Equal More Time To….
You would think that I should be more organized when I work at home and have a ton of more free time. After all, I don’t need to spend at least 9-10 hours at the office everyday (Note to old boss if you are reading: You should feel bad for not giving me the raise that I asked for back then) as well as many days of the month out of my house. But in reality, more time saved doesn’t mean more time to be organized. So how did I manage before?
- I Didn’t Think About It – I never wasted too much time thinking about how much I needed to do since I never thought I had time for that. All I was thinking about was what I needed to do and how I could get it done.
- I Took Care of Things When It Presented Itself – Taxes? I filed them the first day I received all the information I needed. Bills? I paid them the minute they came into my mailbox (inbox). Again, I told myself that I couldn’t afford having them pile up.
- I Forced Myself to Have a Schedule – Everyday, I needed to get everything done. Everyday, I log my bills and everyday, I made sure I didn’t fall behind.
- I Was Focus – I was on a mission. The TV wasn’t on when I write, and the phone wasn’t ringing while I was paying my bills. No distractions, no productivity lost.
Learning Time Management from the Pass
Okay, this seems easy enough. In order to have more time, first you don’t tell yourself “I don’t have time”. Next:
- Just Do It
- Do It Immediately
- Keep a Schedule
- Put All Distractions on Silent
Got that? Yes (promising myself to be more organize at the same time now).